Open Ready Business Toolkit
Angus is set to become the centre of attention for a global audience from 15 to 22 July 2018, when the 147th Open Golf Championship returns to Carnoustie and your business can benefit!
Getting Open Ready
There will be an unprecedented media focus, many thousands of spectators, a global TV audience of millions and a fantastic atmosphere around Carnoustie and Angus. We want to ensure that we showcase Angus as a great destination and give visitors a warm welcome, that makes them want to return and explore our region again.This guide has been developed by Angus Council’s business team to assist companies in maximising the commercial potential of this event before, during and after The Open.
The Open in Figures
The Open Is Coming
Reach out to Golfers
- Championship information, such as tee times and leader board updates.
- Information about other golf courses in the area, see carnoustiecountry.com and what to see and do in the area, where to eat and what’s on at www.visitangus.com
- Information on public transport timetables and park & ride and shuttle bus services give links
- Consider providing a pick up and drop off service for visitors to spectating at the event.
- Information on daily weather forecasts for guests.
- Work with complementary businesses to offer golf packages.
- Provide food at out with usual hours to those who are out all day.
- Provide laundry facilities or a drying room for wet clothes.
- Emergency telephone numbers for services, such as doctors and dentists.
Focus On Customer Service
What can you do to make your customer service great and help people leave with fantastic memories?
- Provide your team with the resources necessary to answer customer queries effectively. This could range from bus timetables, maps of the local area/town, where to eat or other local information. See visitangus.com one stop shop for tourist information about Angus
- Encourage and gather feedback. Listen to what your customers have to say and act on it.
- Encourage your staff to be your customers’ problem solvers and go the extra mile to make their day run smoothly e.g. could you work with other complimentary businesses to offer visitors transportation to and from the course?
- Be proactive and try to anticipate your guests’ needs before they ask you.
- Could you offer free wifi to your customers?
- Invest in your staff and sign up for one of our WorldHost customer service training courses businessangus.com/events
- Allow guests to pre-order food deliveries prior to their arrival, if using self-catering accommodation. Visit visitangus.com/eating-and-drinking for information on our fantastic A Taste of Angus local produce.
- Provide your visitors with a simple golf related gift.
Working together either business to business or as a group or community can encourage everyone to aim for the same goal and yield far greater results.Are there complementary businesses or events nearby that could enhance your own, to provide a superior package for your customers?
- Could you offer evening meals or packed lunches for nearby accommodation providers that cannot offer their own? The R&A will have a camp site at Carnoustie High School , find out more at stayattheopen.com/camping
- Reach more potential customers by promoting your business as part of Visit Angus. Make sure your tourism business is listed on Visitangus.com for free. The website receives over 250,000 visitors a year and reaches over 2 million people on Facebook a year.
- The Open will bring in many visitors to Angus who have never visited before. You can make it easy for them to plan their first visit here by working with other businesses to promote Angus as a whole to them, With opportunities to cross promote what other businesses are doing which complement your offering. Contact the Angus Tourism Cooperative to find out more.